Sunday 10 April 2016

Are You Listening To Me?


Every so often something comes along that is so awesome that it's scope defies the limitations of a simple blog post, but here goes anyway. I have just produced and co written a track called Talk (Are You Listening To Me?) that is a collaboration between John Foxx, Me (i.e. The Maths) and Gary Numan. Let me repeat that: I have just produced a track that is a collaboration between John Foxx & The Maths and Gary Numan!

Whats more, I'm not sure GN has been on a track featuring so many vintage synths since he recorded Cars! (well, maybe a bit later than that, but you get the point). I do know that he is a big fan of Foxxy, and is on record as saying John was a huge influence on his early synth-based work. So I guess it makes sense that he would want to get involved in this collaboration, which is essentially a reworking of our original track Talk from our Shape Of Things album. So I sent Gary the individual tracks from Talk, and he added a brand new vocal part and some synth drones and then I added some more synth parts and mixed it all at Memetune Central. It will be coming out in a little while on a new album of JF collaborations including some new JF&TM tracks on Metamatic Records. You can pro-order it here



Now for some detail about the track itself just in case there are any geeks reading this blog. Here is a list of the synths used and some pictures and a video:

MOOG MODULAR. Used for the initial low sequenced parts and some drones


MOOG POLYMOOG - Layered top lines and main melodies


LINN LM1 & EHX DRM16 DRUM MACHINES - DRM16 comes in first, then the Linn does the main drums half way through


PAIA MODULAR - The weird sequence that comes in half way through


ROLAND JX3P - Layered top lines and main melodies


OBERHEIM FOUR VOICE - Layered top lines and main melodies


GRATUITOUS STUDIO PIC


Here is a little video of me playing a top line on the Polymoog:

There were also a plethora of vintage delay, flanger and phaser units used, as well as vintage EMT Plate and Lexicons because as Gary said '..the vocals need a shit load of reverb on them!'. So there you have it, hope you like the track when it comes out!!



9 comments:

  1. So it's a "complete and utter geek swoon" here :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the studio looks A-MAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my radar for a bit now. Hearing it from you makes it all so much more real now!!! CAN'T WAIT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been a fan of John Foxx and Gary Numan since 1979. This should be interesting, looking forward to hearing it.

    Didn't realize the Polymoog had a ribbon controller on it. That ribbon had a huge effect on a number of Gary Numan songs...

    More Gratuitous studio pictures please. With the Moog modular patched up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be coming to visit soon then Ben! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting opportunity for my ears

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering what synths Numan had used to emulate the PM, then find out it's actually YOU using a real one..

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the end result was my favorite version of this oft-collaborated song! You should release a "Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk" EP with all four versions, don't you think? Easily the best thing I heard Numan on in 20 years! I was worried he'd go all aggro on me but he pulled through in good form.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to testify about TD Ameritrade who helped me invest my bitcoin and made me who I am today, I never believe in investing in bitcoin until I met TD Ameritrade. I saw so many testimonies about him helping people to invest their bitcoin. I decide to contact him and invested $500 and, after 72 hours, I get my $ 5,000 profit in my bitcoin wallet. Since I invested with them and I always receive my profit without delay, so if you want to invest your bitcoin, TD Ameritrade is the best deal with which you can invest and make profit is a guarantee. So, if you want to invest, just contact him and he will guide you on how to start your investment. Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete